PE Curriculum

PE Curriculum

Physical Education shares the general aims of education to develop the child intellectually, socially and physically and is an integral part of the education process. Any curriculum must be influenced by the needs of the individual and be relevant to today’s society.

Physical Education aims to maximise individual development through the medium of physical activity. Through participation in athletic activities, dance, games, gymnastics, swimming and outdoor and adventurous activities, physical education develops physical competence, promotes physical development, teaches students to value the benefit of participation in physical activity, while at college and throughout life. It develops artistic understanding and helps to establish self-esteem through the development of physical confidence. It also helps students to cope with both success and failure in competitive and co-operative physical activities.

Physical education contributes to the development of problem solving and interpersonal skills which is achieved through the contribution of physical activity and the mental processes of making decisions, selecting, refining, judging, shaping, adjusting and adapting. Physical Education also develops qualities of commitment, integrity, fairness and enthusiasm and concern for quality as well as success.

Thinking, reasoning, observation, planning and judging are as vital to success in a physical context as in any other and as such, physical education is a vital part of the education process.

The programme of study (POS) is planned to demonstrate logical progression of work related to the appropriate stage of child development and requires the use of a variety of teaching and learning strategies.

Core Physical Education is pivotal for the development of the whole child and the continued development of the department as a whole. The core curriculum caters for all students and allows them to study 12 different sports every academic year in the hope that they will select one or two to continue long after they leave school. It is hoped that if a student enjoys their core physical education it will give them confidence to choose an examined subject in Key stage 4. Having a strong understanding and practical ability in a variety of sports by the time they are in years 10 and 11 will help them to be successful in both the GCSE and BTEC Courses.

SPORTS COVERED IN KEY STAGE 3 CORE PHYSICAL EDUCATION (Years 7-9)

Indoor Athletics, Badminton, Leadership, Athletics, Rugby, Swimming, Dance, Cricket, Rounders, Hockey, Gymnastics, Fitness and Mountain Biking (On-site)

SPORTS COVERED IN KEY STAGE 4 CORE PHYSICAL EDUCATION (Years 10-11)

Badminton, Volleyball, Boys Football, Fitness Suite, Swimming/water polo, Leadership, Rounders, Athletics, Tennis, Cricket, Dance, Exercise to Music, Mountain Biking (Off-site), Netball, Softball and Basketball

ACADEMIC COURSES IN YEARS 10/11

Currently we teach BTEC Certificate in Sport, BTEC Diploma in Sport and BTEC Extended Certificate in Sport. These are vocational courses. They are made up of assignments that are related directly to work place situations. These prepare pupils with the knowledge and understanding to deal with tasks and duties in their job roles. Pupils will cover units such as; Planning and Leading Sports Activities, Anatomy and Physiology, Practical Sport and Injury in Sport.
We also deliver Edexcel GCSE Physical Education. This course is 40% theory which looks at the workings of the body and reasons for participation. The other 60% of the course is made up of practical assessment in sport, leadership and observation and analysis.

You can access the current Public Services and BTEC Sport assignments on the Hamble VLE at the link below:

https://skoogle2.hamblecollege.co.uk